Everything You Want To Know About Eco-friendly Food Packaging
The Plastic Pandemic:
In the current situation of COVID-19, there’s a positive change seen within the atmosphere and therefore the rivers. The cleaner atmosphere helped to look at Himalayan mountain ranges from the far-flung place in Punjab, India. The Yamuna river in Delhi becomes less toxic & cleaner thanks to closed down of all industrial pollutants. But at the time when we are all facing the Coronavirus pandemic, we also are simultaneously facing the plastic pandemic much of it coming from hospitals and food packaging industry. There is now an ever-increasing demand for eco-friendly packaging for food.
Plastic pollution is one in every of our planet’s greatest environmental threat specifically plastic packaging. Especially Single-Use Plastic. This is the plastic that we use and throw away very very quickly. We must always displace single-use plastic and styrofoam the maximum amount as possible.
There is no doubt that single-use plastic has been a lifesaver in the fight against COVID-19, especially for frontline health workers. It’s additionally encouraged adherence to social-distancing rules by empowering home delivery of essential products, particularly food. Furthermore, it may have greatly helped to reduce transmission by replacing reusable coffee cups and shopping bags in numerous urban areas over scare that the infection could stick with them.
But broadly circulated pictures of plastic sacks of clinical waste accumulating outside medical clinics, using personal protective equipment floating in coastal waters and washing up on the world’s beaches illustrate once more the dark side of single-use plastics. In the event that we aren’t cautious, momentary speculation during the pandemic could lead to an even larger environmental and public-health calamity in the future.
Though it’ll take time to find out precisely what proportion additional plastic waste has been generated during the crisis. The preliminary data are staggering. In China, the ministry of ecology and environment estimates that hospitals in Wuhan produced approximately 240 tonnes of waste daily at the peak of the outbreak compared with 40 tonnes during normal times. Based on these data, the consulting firm Frost & Sullivan predicts that the United States could generate a complete year’s worth of medical waste in just two months thanks to COVID-19.
A similar uptick within the waste may be seen among ordinary citizens. In February, the regular production of face masks increased to 116 million in China. This is 12 times above the previous month. The daily collection of discarded masks were in hundreds from public bins alone during the outbreak’s peak. There’s no telling what percentage more were being discarded in household waste systems. According to the Thailand Environment Institute, plastic waste has increased from 1,500 tonnes to 6,300 tonnes per day due to soaring home deliveries of food. It is high time to focus our green efforts on innovative products made out of plastic recycling.
Initiative by Indian companies for eco-friendly products:
Out of the above challenges that we are all facing currently, we can at least start using eco-friendly packaging for foods. Some companies in India have already started manufacturing eco-friendly food packaging products such as Ecoware and Attaware in India.
Ecoware collects Agriwastes typically wheat, rice and sugarcane and through the very simple thermoforming process. They turn that into disposable packaging for the food and beverage industry. The eco-friendly products produced are 100% naturals. They are biodegradable and compostable.
On the other hand, Attaware manufactures products from Atta(flour) and Jaggery sweet. The manufacturing process produces zero waste neither air, water, soil pollution nor noise pollution. Moreover, you can eat these disposable products like plates & cutlery along with food intake
Who is leading in sustainable packaging conversation?… Millennials or Boomers
The impressive factor is that millennials are seen most concerned about the environment. Now the question is what millennials think about eco-friendly products.
According to EcoFocus Worldwide’s 2019 U.S. Trends Survey, Most U.S. shoppers say that nutritious foods and drinks should follow healthier and environmentally friendly packaging requirement. Let’s have a look at its statistics from a survey conducted.
Compared to the other generation, here are stats related to millennials :
- 71% of millennials agree that foods and beverages with healthier ingredient lists should use packaging materials that are healthier too.
- 69% of millennials agree that healthy beverage brands have to do a higher job of providing alternatives to plastic packaging.
- 69% of millennials are influenced when making purchase decisions by a company’s decision to use only packaging that’s plant-based.
- 65% of millennials agree that normal and natural items must make a more grounded showing of packaging their items with recyclable materials.
- 57% of millennials agree that they fight to shop for products in packaging that’s made with plant-based materials.
The 5 keys to seeing how millennials will change sustainable packaging forever
- A healthier planet means a healthier me.
- Healthier foods & beverages are even healthier in sustainable packaging
- Foods & beverages have to be available in packaging that supports sustainable practices.
- Brand owners will build trust by acting more responsibly towards the environment.
- It is worth paying more for eco-friendly products.
Potential of biodegradable food packaging :
As per the report published by Fior Markets, the world eco-friendly food packaging market is anticipated to grow from USD 152.09 billion in 2019 and to achieve USD 257.43 billion by 2027 growing at a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period 2020-2027.
The environmental degradation by the use of single-use plastic items has led to the event of sustainable packaging for the food and beverages sector. Other than this, the hectic lifestyle has increased the consumption of food among the working population which has boosted the expansion of eco-friendly food packaging in many regions. The eco-friendly food packaging also provides safety and is hygienic which are other reasons behind the developing interest in the product.
The eco-friendly food packages use renewable materials which don’t cause any harm to the environment. It’s basically made of the biodegradable packaging materials and reusable. It also safeguards the standard of food and makes it safe for human consumption. Also, another added benefit of the product is the less requirement of energy within the manufacturing process. These packaging also reduces the burden on natural resources.
The increasing awareness among buyers in specific areas about the evil impacts of plastic packaging has expanded the market demand of the item. The manufacturers are switching to the environment-friendly food packaging following the regulations issued by the government-related about the ban on single-use plastics. However, the provision of cheap alternatives is hindering the market growth.
Best innovative Eco-friendly companies globally :
Here are the Top 20 Eco-friendly packaging companies around the world :
- Mondi Group
- Sealed Air Corporation
- Ball Corporation
- Tetra Pak
- Crown Holdings Inc.
- Huhtamaki Oyj
- Westrock Company
- Smurfit Kappa Group
- Sonoco Products Company
- Evergreen Packaging
- Winpak Ltd.
- Berry Global
- Printpak Inc.
- Sustainable Packaging Industries
- GWP Group
- Swedbrand Groups
Winner of Austrian Green Star Packaging Awards and its Innovation :
Recently Mondi Group wins awards for sustainable food packaging for the year 2020. Global packaging and paper manufacturer Mondi has been recognised during this year’s Austrian Green Star Packaging Awards for 2 recent sustainable packaging innovations.
1) The first innovation, PerFORMing, is a paper-based packaging that protects cheese slices with a special barrier coating. The adoption of this package helped to cut back the number of plastic used by 70% and also the carbon footprint by two-thirds.
2) The second innovation is a fully recyclable thermoforming plastic film for meat. Mondi created the packaging for Austrian meat producer Hütthaler. The packaging was designed for recycling while maintaining optimum barrier properties and replacing a previous less sustainable packaging. The new film follows high food standards, retains shelf life and also helps Hütthaler save on disposal costs due to its recyclability.
What do you mean by eco-friendly packaging and what are its advantages?
- Eco-friendly packaging is sometimes manufactured from recycled or renewable materials.
- Since most of those materials are natural, sustainable packaging is safer and healthier for both people and therefore the environment.
- Green packaging helps cut carbon discharges and creates practically zero waste. Your business can spare energy subsequent to changing to green packaging, as its creation requires fewer fuel sources.
- The cost of creating sustainable packaging materials is lower as compared to traditional packaging.
- Green packaging is mostly sturdier and provides better protection than regular packaging.
- Green packaging is often used in almost every industry.
The growing number of environmentally conscious consumers indicates that using eco-friendly packaging materials can boost your company’s image and increase brand loyalty. The demand for eco-friendly packaging solutions to stimulate the players of worldwide sustainable packaging market to take a position in research and development.
With the expansion in various industries and factories, the demand for a sustainable packaging solution has hiked within the past few years. These demands have propelled packaging solution manufacturers to develop innovative packaging machinery that may help the industries to pack the products easily. These demands are the main factor that propels the expansion of worldwide sustainable packaging market. Additionally, the developing interest for solid and feasible packaging likewise helps the extension of world sustainable packaging market from 2018 to 2026.
Major Challenges in Global Sustainable Packaging Market
- The high cost of packaging solutions is the major challenge that might impede the growth of global sustainable packaging market. This is because these solutions require immense research and development which are costly to avail. This high cost might impede the growth of global sustainable packaging market from 2018 to 2026.
- The accessibility of material is another factor which may hinder the extension of the global sustainable packaging market.
What is the most eco-friendly packaging?
We know that between greenwashing claims and confusing industry terms and regulations, it may be difficult to seek out what products are literally eco-friendly or sustainable. Here’s a way to find the simplest eco-friendly packaging and ways to form more sustainable choices when shipping products:
- Reuse the maximum amount as possible. First and foremost, bog down on the quantity of packaging you’re consuming. We recommend collecting tissue paper and shipping envelopes to reuse when needed. Save cardboard boxes from online orders. whether or not they break down during travel. We can use even those as cushioning material.
- Remember that the less material, the better. Lighter weight materials can mean less CO2 emissions during transportation and production.
- Know that paper could be a great packing alternative to plastic because we mostly recycle it. It is biodegradable as well. Ideally, search for cardboard and paper that’s uncoated and unwaxed rather than bubble wrap.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts are manufactured from potato and corn starch rather than styrofoam so that they will break down when thrown away when standard packing peanuts won’t.
- Corrugated cardboard may be a great replacement for plastic containers. We can reuse and recycle it more often.